The WiMAX Forum® has announced the availability of the first WiMAX Forum Industry Research Report at the WiMAX Forum Congress Asia in Singapore April 28-29, 2009. The monthly report offers a summary of primary and secondary research and includes the latest updates on WiMAX Forum-tracked statistics, product certification, regulatory information, technology standards, industry news and other important information.
“The WiMAX Forum is committed to helping the global community understand the progress of the WiMAX ecosystem by sharing relevant information regarding the WiMAX Forum Certified Program, global WiMAX deployments and other milestones,” said XJ Wang, Senior Director of Marketing for the WiMAX Forum. “This monthly report is another way the WiMAX Forum educates the market and informs membership about continued WiMAX momentum.”
Each monthly Industry Research Report includes an executive summary, global deployment update, POPS summary, monthly featured operator profile, certification update, regulatory update, survey data results and a third party research update.
Highlights of April’s report include:
• Approximately 13 new WiMAX™ network deployments were announced. Currently, WiMAX Forum tracks a total of 468 WiMAX deployments in 139 countries.
• By the end of 2008, the WiMAX Forum certified a total of 82 products. The WiMAX Forum Designated Certification Laboratories (WFDCL’s) produced 15 WiMAX Forum Certified™ products in Q1 2009.
• WiMAX vendors with WiMAX Forum Certified products include 25 base station vendors, 27 subscriber station vendors and four mobile station vendors.
• WiMAX Forum research showed that WiMAX deployments cover more than 430 Million POPs worldwide, and are forecasted to reach 800 Million POPs by the end of 2010.
• The Iranian Communications Regulatory Authority granted four six-year licenses for operators to offer fixed WiMAX services in Iran. Also, the Chilean government announced that it had awarded a license for 30 MHz of spectrum in the 2.3 GHz band to INVERCA Telecommunications.
• In 1Q 2009, the WiMAX Forum Network Operators Task Force conducted a survey of over 70 WiMAX operators. In response to a question on the importance of certification, 89% of respondents indicated that their companies would require WiMAX Forum Certification for devices. Also, 74% of respondents to a question on sales channels plan to sell WiMAX devices through general retail stores.
This WiMAX Forum Industry Research Report will be available on the WiMAX Forum website the first week of every month at www.wimaxforum.org.
The WiMAX Forum mission is to facilitate the adoption of Mobile WiMAX™ by operators across the world and ensure that the products used are interoperable through its certification programs. As the global community is already witnessing how WiMAX technology will drastically improve the next-generation of broadband applications and services, the WiMAX Forum Industry Research Report is another tool to help facilitate the truth about the technology and its advancements. For more information on this report or the WiMAX Forum please visit www.wimaxforum.org.
About the WiMAX Forum®
The WiMAX Forum® is an industry-led, not-for-profit organization formed to certify and promote the compatibility and interoperability of broadband wireless products based upon the harmonized IEEE 802.16e/ETSI HiperMAN standard. A WiMAX Forum goal is to accelerate the introduction of these systems into the marketplace. WiMAX Forum Certified products are interoperable and support broadband fixed, nomadic, portable and mobile services. Along these lines, the WiMAX Forum works closely with service providers and regulators to ensure that WiMAX Forum Certified systems meet customer and government requirements. Through the WiMAX Forum Congress Events Series of global trade shows and events, the WiMAX Forum is committed to furthering education, training and collaboration to expand the reach of the WiMAX ecosystem. For more information, visit the trade show link at www.wimaxforum.org.
“WiMAX Forum,” the WiMAX Forum logo and the WiMAX Forum Certified logo are registered trademarks of the WiMAX Forum. “WiMAX,” “Mobile WiMAX,” “Fixed WiMAX,” “WiMAX Certified,” and “WiMAX Forum Certified” are trademarks of the WiMAX Forum. Third-party trademarks contained in this document are the property of their respective owners.